Nuts make such a great snack. They are easy to find, portable, and filled with protein & fat, so they are satisfying for longer than a high carb snack. There are lots of options for flavors of nuts beyond just eating plain nuts…. sweet varieties like glazed walnuts or honey roasted peanuts. Or savory options like ranch, chipotle, or simply just salted nuts!
But lots of times buying nuts off the shelf can pose a problem if you’re looking to cut out processed ingredients like MSG, yeast extract, refined salts or sugars, or preservatives. Or if you want a sweet nut that isn’t like eating dessert. I mean, I’m all for that too. I have an amazing recipe for candied pecans that will rock your world, but a healthy snack it is not!
So here is a less sweet take on the sweet nut. With just a bit of maple syrup, a hint of cinnamon, and some salt to bring out the flavor. They are a great option to eat when you want a bit of sweet with your snack without a huge blood sugar hit!
Maple Glazed Almonds
- 1 T butter
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 c raw almonds (about 12 oz)
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter in a medium bowl, then add the salt, cinnamon, & maple syrup. Stir to combine. Add the nuts and mix to coat.
- Pour the nuts onto the baking sheet and bake for about 20 min, stirring every 5 min. Watch them for the last 5 minutes so they don't get overdone/burnt.
- Allow to fully cool on pan before eating.