Beef stroganoff has always been a favorite of mine. With its rich, creamy sauce and delicious beef and mushrooms, it’s hard to resist! I’ve played around with a few recipes over time but they all had too little of one thing or too much of another. I suppose it depends on how you are used to eating it and whether you love lots of sour cream or not (I’m in the middle on that one).
This recipe is quick to come together. It can be done in less than an hour and will come together faster if you do weekend meal prep for some of it (see below). You can serve this delicious meal over your starch or veggie of choice. Obviously mashed potatoes or gluten-free pasta are amazing, but try it over zucchini noodles as well for a lower carb option that gets you more veggies (always a win!).
To Meal Prep Ahead
- Slice up the beef & put into a container
- Slice the mushrooms & chop the garlic and onion and put together in another container
- 1.5 pounds beef top sirloin steak, 1/2″ thick (or tenderloin)
- 2 T butter
- 1 T tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1-3/4 cups beef broth divided
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 tsp oregano dried
- 2 T arrowroot powder
- 1/2 cup full fat sour cream or use diary free sour cream or canned coconut milk for dairy free
- Slice the beef across the grain into pieces about 1 – 1.5 inches long
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over med-high heat. Add the sliced beef, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beef is browned.
- Stir 1-1/4 cups worth of the beef broth, tomato paste, and salt into the skillet. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for about 10 min (until the beef is tender).
- Stir in the mushrooms, onions, garlic, & oregano. Cover again and continue to simmer until the onions are tender (about 5 minutes).
- In a small bowl, stir together the remaining 1/2 cup of beef broth and arrowroot powder until combined.
- Stir the arrowroot mixture into the skillet. Bring to a boil while stirring. Boil for 1 minute, until thickened.
- Stir in the sour cream and heat through. Serve immediately.